Wednesday, June 8, 2011

What Do I Know of Holy?


“It is in the shelter of each other that the people live.” 
      Today is the third day of training for Summer Ministry. I simply cannot go to sleep without trying to express all that has happened in this day and all that I have learned so far! This afternoon, my team began to truly bond. There are six of us, and therefore we are able to pair off if needed in order to be the most productive. The six of us paired into three groups within the same room, and looking back right now, I love the memories of my quick observations: Travis and Ryan planning and practicing their bible story for VBS, in hopes of teaching children the truth within the words of scripture in a fun and interactive way ... Christina and Mixi preparing the entertaining skit for the kids to become engaged and invested in the daily bible points ... me and Ace brain storming about what games to teach the kids. We all focused and worked together, while at the same time, made connections that I believe began to open doors of comfort for my team. I laughed with Ace over past memories of Capture the Flag, the team encouraged and giggled at the first rehearsal of the skit, and we began to see the vision for the daily bible story that the guys put together. The morning seemed to fly by. We began laughing together and enjoying each other’s company. I envisioned what I will feel by the end of the summer...these will not just be my teammates, they will be family.
      “It is in the shelter of each other that the people live.” Honestly, this week started out with some stress. My team is in a difficult position due to our responsibility for learning worship music for camps and churches, in addition to leading four vacation bible schools. We must manage our time efficiently in order to prepare for our summer program! This afternoon, I felt the stress and tension rise as we struggled to find common ground on which song to practice, and whether the “tag” should end with [insert lyric here] 2x or 3x. I personally left the four hour practice a bit discouraged, but after dinner, our team received extra training and instruction from a music graduate of ENC. He seemed to pump up the team, because for the rest of the night, I felt much more encouraged about our progress. Even though the team energy was running on close to empty, we were constantly finding things to laugh about, and were able to work productively until late tonight. 
       Thinking back on the quote from earlier, I feel as though it sums up my team and this summer. We all need to be sheltered by each other, and we can only thrive if we know that we matter and are cared for. My team began to understand what it meant to shelter each other and help each other tonight. We concluded the night with a short meeting about our plan for the weekend, and then spent time in prayer. As I got up to leave the rehearsal room and head back to my dorm, I was reminded of the love that God has for each member of my team. He put us together, He will not allow us to fail. Our job is to take Him seriously enough to remember Him. Without God, we cannot do anything. Our purpose for this summer is to serve Him together with our time, energy, and love. 
      As a final thought, I am reminded of the lyrics to a song that Ryan and I will be singing for a special performance this summer. The song is entitled “What Do I Know of Holy.” To me, the lyrics remind me of my place in the purpose of God. He is perfect, holy, powerful...and yet chooses to give my small team of six such a challenge to serve Him this summer!
Verse 2
I guess I thought that I had figured You out
I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about
How You were mighty to save
Those were only empty words on a page
Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be
The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees
Chorus
What do I know of You
Who spoke me into motion?
Where have I even stood
But the shore along Your ocean?
Are You fire? Are You fury?
Are You sacred? Are You beautiful?
What do I know? What do I know of Holy?
This day began as any other during the training week, but it was far from normal. Throughout our small difficulties and differences in opinion, God proved Himself to be mightiest of all and able to calm our hearts. He reminded us to shine His light to each other and to worship him with the words that our songs boldly speak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment